Cavendish Hall is the former George Wesley Atkinson Memorial Methodist Church, originally constructed in 1929, but after six years of trying to make it during the Great Depression, it folded. The property was sold on the courthouse steps in 1935 to a local lawyer who immediately turned it into a four unit luxury apartment. It lasted as a four unit apartment for 59 years through five different owners the last of which did not want to be in the apartment business after trying it out. It was sold in 1995 to Jonathan Cavendish, a local Realtor and musician, and immediately remodeled into a first floor living unit and a second floor recital hall which has the capability of giving small if but important concerts to audiences as many as 65-70. In the 22 years that it has been Cavendish Hall, there have been more than 150 concerts given, many of which having been recitals by piano students of Vicki Cavendish, a local piano teacher. From time to time, visiting artists show up and want to put on a recital and the public is always cordially invited. There is never a charge for the concerts, but audience goers are always asked to make a donation to the artist. The hall measures 35 x 48 and on the far end, there is a 12 foot stage which has two 7 foot grand pianos.
The concerts are always followed by a lovely reception that often lasts longer than the concert!
Our motto is: "You are a stranger here once!"